Saturday, July 12, 2008

Far From Shore

Yesterday we spent several hours on a very large boat on a medium-sized lake.

The weather was storybook perfect, the food was mouth watering, and the sheer notion that we were separated from the rest of the world lent the afternoon a magical quality, as though we had somehow passed through a portal to a past where life’s pace was slower and, most importantly, cell phones didn’t exist.

The best part of the day was the companionship of friends, one of whom we hadn’t had a chance to spend time with in years. I laughed so hard my stomach feels like I did 500 sit-ups. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like I did 500 sit-ups. But, as Peter David says, I digress.

It was nice to live in the moment, even for just a few hours. That’s something I need to do more often.

Along with sit-ups.

No comments: