Monday, September 19, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays, Blah, Blah, Blah

It’s a strange day, even for Monday. I feel melancholy. Maybe it’s the weather–overcast with drizzle.

Also, I seem to be trying to come down with a cold or a bug. They may also be weather-related, but I rather suspect it has something to do with living a stress-filled life for months, with little or no down time.

I seem to once again be buried under commitments, despite an effort about a year ago to try to prevent this very thing from happening again.

In the cold, harsh light of day (well, a day other than this grey one) I realize that some of the things I have agreed to do are things that I no longer have much enthu
siasm for. Another pruning is in order, a scaling back. I have a birthday in a few days and recent events have made me outrageously aware of how fleeting time really is. I spend enough of it engaged in activities that bring me no joy and may be wearing my soul down a silly millimeter at a time.

That has to change. I’ll spend the rest of the year finishing up those things I have promised, then I will make some hard decisions about the sort of projects I want to take on.

(By the way, my wife is doing great. Her health is excellent and her amazing spirit and resilience inspires me every day. Her pumpkin pie ain’t too bad, either.)

Meanwhile, here’s something that makes me happy.


That’s Callie, standing on my bedside table next to a copy of The Losers by Jack Kirby.

I’m going to wrap this up, brush my cats and read for a while. Now that’s a wise use of my time.

No comments: