Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy Fourth of July


You're looking at the cover to my favorite comic book, by the most beloved comics creator of my childhood, Jack Kirby. This extra-large comic kept me sane during a family trip in 1976. The original fell apart from constant re-reading, but I replaced it years ago. Every July 4th I take it off the shelf and enter that bizarre Kirby world once again, digging Cap's odyssey through American history. I also have the reprint Marvel put out last year, but the sheer hugeness of the original is breathtaking. And the smell of that old paper is a large part of the experience.

We have friends and family coming over later for food and drink. 1776 and Yankee Doodle Dandy are stacked by the DVD player. We're going to have a good day. I hope you do the same.

Here's a little John Adams action to get you started:

No comments: