Monday, July 23, 2007

Goodbye, Weekly World News


The Weekly World News is shutting down. The tabloid has been a staple at the supermarket checkout line since the late 70s. Best known for its stories of Presidents meeting aliens and the travails of Batboy, I'll remember the paper for its sense of humor and for one of its editors.

For several years Leskie Pinson went on my radio show once a week to discuss the stories in the latest edition of the Weekly World News. He was originally from here -- Huntington, WV -- and a big fan of Marshall University sports and the Cincinnati Reds.

And he was frickin' funny. I always enjoyed talking with him, on and off the air. He never failed to make me laugh.

Leskie passed away two years ago this month, far too early. And now the Weekly World News, with those wacky stories, is going away as well.

I'm surprised at how sad that makes me feel.

5 comments:

David Niall Wilson said...

Man! I wonder if there's any way to save it...

Mark Justice said...

Dave, I hope someone recognizes this piece of Americana and swoops in to save it.

David Niall Wilson said...

I wonder what something like that would cost...what it would take for them to pass the reins...a pretty penny no doubt...

Fran Friel said...

And here I thought Cheney was Vader. WWN set me straight. I hope they find a loving caretaker to help them carry on the good news.

Anonymous said...

Mark, thanks for kindly remembering my husband Leskie. He loved the Weekly World News, and he loved doing those radio shows. It's a sad day for WWN fans.
Liz Pinson