Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My So-Called Life

It’s been a busy week already.

Tuesday night I co-hosted a roast for the mayor of the city where I work. It meant missing a little sleep, but it was a lot of fun and we raised a bunch of money for the March of Dimes.

***

What happened to all that free time I used to have for writing?

***

Diabolical Dave Wilbanks and I are busier than Santa whipping his elves as we cobble together Pod of Horror #6. This episode features an interview with one of my favorite new writers, Kealan Patrick Burke, the author of The Turtle Boy and The Hides. He’s frank and funny, but that feller don’t talk like he’s from ‘round hyar.

POH #6 should go live on Monday.

***

Over at the Shocklines message board, Bev Vincent published this description of Stephen King’s new novel, The Cell, due in January:

Civilization doesn't end with a bang or a whimper. It ends with a call on your cell phone.

What happens on the afternoon of October 1 came to be known as the Pulse, a signal sent though every operating cell phone that turns its user into something...well, something less than human. Savage, murderous, unthinking-and on a wanton rampage. Terrorist act? Cyber prank gone haywire? It really doesn't matter, not to the people who avoided the technological attack. What matters to them is surviving the aftermath. Before long a band of them-"normies" is how they think of themselves-have gathered on the grounds of Gaiten Academy, where the headmaster and one remaining student have something awesome and terrifying to show them on the school's moonlit soccer field. Clearly there can be no escape. The only option is to take them on.

CELL is classic Stephen King, a story of gory horror and white-knuckling suspense that makes the unimaginable entirely plausible and totally fascinating.

I am so there.

***

We have three VCRs, two of them replacements for older machines. Before the cruise, I set them all to tape the various shows we watch (Commander-In-Chief, Supernatural, Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls). When I checked the tapes a few minutes okay, I found out that unlike the old VCRS, the two new machines did not switch automatically to daylight savings time.

I guess I’ve found some extra writing time.

No comments: