Friday, October 13, 2006

Beyond the Sea

We leave for the airport in about five hours, and we just now finished packing. We weren’t procrastinating. It was literally the first chance this week to do it. We had good intentions, but each evening found us facing some sort of mini-catastrophe. Nothing big. Just petty, annoying time-wasting stuff.

While Norma concentrated on the clothes and toiletries, I focused on the most important part of preparing for any trip.

That’s right. The books. After days and days of deliberation, I’m taking Infernal by F. Paul Wilson, Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and the latest issues of Asimov’s and Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine.

Of course I may add to or subtract from that list as we leave the house.

By the way, I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was one of the bleakest, most depressing novels I have ever experienced. Also one of the most beautifully written. Highly recommended.

I’m too tired to be excited about the cruise yet. I know we’ll have a good time once we get there, so that will take care of itself. Now I just have to check once more to make sure we have everything. Then I’ll get a couple of hours sleep.

Talk to you in about a week. Be nice to each other. Don’t fight.

No comments: