Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Bye-Bye Rummy


It's shocking -- shocking, I tells ya -- to think a president would mislead the people, but apparently when President Bush was assuring us last week that he would stand by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld for the longhaul, he was actively seeking his replacement.

I'm no political genius, so somebody help me out here. Bush saved the Rumsfeld announcement for the day after the election. Wouldn't it have helped his fellow Republicans and demonstrated that, yes, he does listen to the people and his own party, by canning Rummy last week?

Or maybe he thought it would seem a little less like bowing to political pressure if he threw Rummy under the bus a few hours after the election.

Only in Washington.

Regardless of the motivation, I'm not complaining. We need a little less arrogance and a fresh pair of eyes in that position. As I mentioned in a comment below I think change can be very good. From time to time a shake up is needed. Obviously I'm not alone in feeling this way.

There's one thing I hope comes from this government overhaul.

I've always admired John McCain for his independence and his willingness to take unpopular positions. He always struck me as a man of strong convictions, some I disagreed with, naturally. However he seemed to be a rational, clear-thinking head in an increasingly partisan system. McCain regularly disagreed with the president (whether it was Clinton or Bush) and repeatedly admonished the special interests who were trying to unduly influence the direction of the country, particulary the religious right.

I was hugely disappointed earlier this year to see McCain sucking up to the president and the smug Jerry Falwell, a man who McCain had publicly taken to task on several occasions.

McCain obviously want to be president. And, just has obviously, he has reached the conclusion that he must modify his views to get the office.

After the results from yesterday's election, I hope McCain reevaluates his new direction.

If he returns to the McCain of old, he would make a very attractive presidential candidate.

1 comment:

Ron Fortier said...

Mark, I'm a Republican and man I have totally agree with you here. Had this happened two weeks ago, the Republicans might have won a few more elections yesterday. And this is the kind of political advice our President listens to?? Unbelievable. And I have to concur with you on John McCain. Remember, way back when, we in NH picked him as our candidate.
But I'm really afraid Washington as a whole has gotten way to partisan and no one on either side will recognize the need for a moderate.
I don't think the guy has a chance, though if he runs again, he's got my vote.
Oh, and I won't say what I think of Polesi here. I was brought up to be polite to the fairer sex. Ha.