Thursday, November 16, 2006

Classic Comic Covers of the Day 11/16/06

Obviously this isn't going to be a daily feature. Catch as can, most likely.





When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the Marvel Westerns of the 60s and 70s, with their weird fusing of western tropes with superheroics.

Back then, they were a curiosity, something I really didn't pursue for a basic reason unique to kid-dom: my dad was always making me watch westerns. Therefore, I had no choice but to reject them.

Kinda stupid, I know, but there you are.

Now, due to nostalgia and maybe something else I don't quite understand, I've been very attracted to western books, movies and comics over last couple of years.

I wish Marvel would devote one of their Essentials volumes to some Kid Colt or The Two-Gun Kid. I've read my old copies until they're falling apart.

4 comments:

Ron Fortier said...

First comic book I ever remember owning was a copy of KID COLT OUTLAW that my father bought for me. I devoured the old Marvel & DC Western comics and its a damn shame they are gone now. I don't mind an occasional element of horror, but today it seems they all must have it to sell a western. No thanks. Just give me a plain old horse opera, thank you very much.

Mark Justice said...

Ron, DC's new Jonah Hex series has been a pretty solid western for the first 13 issues.

Ron Fortier said...

I have heard good things about this series, Mark. And your recommendation
is enough for me to check it out.
Any chance they'll be collecting any of these a graphic novel sets?

Mark Justice said...

DC and Marvel seems to be collecting everything these days, which is great, so I'm sure the new Hex will get the treatment. meantime, last year DC put out one of those Showcase editions devoted to reprinting the Hex stuff from the 70s. 500 pages for around fifteen bucks.