Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voting

So Norma and I voted as soon as I got out of work today. Our polling place was busy. New signs were posted everywhere urging voters to not take more than two minutes in the booth.

I never saw a single voter take less than six or seven minutes. We were the youngest there, as usual. Noon to One must be senior hour.

I asked one of the precinct workers how the turn out had been. He said that despite the current surge in attendance, things had been light. Around 30%. He told me they would be lucky if the predicted 40% actually came out to vote.

I was stunned. I've proudly voted since I was 18, despite sometimes feeling I was choosing between Freddy Krueger and Michael Myers. I've always thought it was a privilege to take part in our unique democratic process -- and that's coming from me, the most cynical person I know.

So why are 60% of you staying home? Laziness? Fear that it will take time away from watching Judge Joe Brown? Dr. Phil didn't send you a telepathic message with instructions on how to vote?

I know it can't be bitter disillusionment, since no one is more cynical than moi, and I made it to the voting booth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Mark. I always vote and I always seem to notice being the only one of my generation at the polls. After having a discussion about it with friends or co-workers, the main reason I am usually given as an excuse is the old "one vote doesn't make a difference"... which I always point out is not very logical when you consider that the votes of the millions of people using that excuse could easily determine the outcome of an election. The second is "I don't even know who is running or what the issues are", but considering the massive salvo of advertising I'm fairly sure every living thing in the solar system knows them. My honest opinion is it is a mixture of apathy and the growing American attitude of "all-about-me-ness" that is resulting in people losing all sense of personal and civic responsibility. Not to mention common courtesy. Instead of deciding on people for their government, people now seem to want their government to decide for them.

Ron Fortier said...

And sadly, with the Dems in power, that's exactly what will happen. Then again, people do get the government they deserve.

Mark Justice said...

You know, I basically disrust all politicians, especially at the federal level, where their primary goal seems to be to stay in office at all costs.

But it seems to me that the country is in horrible shape. I'm all for tossing out the current bunch of idiots and letting a new group of idiots give it a shot. If they don't work out, we have another election in two years.