Sunday, November 12, 2006

Harlan Coben


In the last few weeks I’ve read three of Harlan Coben’s novels about athlete-turned-sports agent-turned-detective Myron Bolitar, and I have a new entry on my list of favorite writers.

Finding an author you’ve never read, one that you end up really liking, and then realizing he or she has a hefty backlist of work for you to dive into...well, it’s one of the best feelings I know.

Coben has a simple, clear, unobtrusive style. Other than an occasional missed metaphor or a train wreck of a simile, the ride is always smooth and quick. He mixes in a dash of humor as needed, and Coben has the ability to describe violence in a neutral, non-gratuitous tone, a must for PI novels.

I haven’t tried his stand-alone novels yet. I have a couple of those on the pile.

It’s going to be a busy few weeks of catching up on Coben.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. His standalone novels are great also.

Ron Fortier said...

Going to have to check this out, Mark.
Thanks. Know what you mean about discovering a writer you like. I think the first Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt book I tripped over was the 7th in the series. Took me all of two weeks, after enjoying that one so much, to hunt up the first six and buy them.

Flip Dixon said...

Read TELL NO ONE first, that is probably the best of his standalone books.

Ron Fortier said...

Will do, thanks.

Mark Justice said...

I'm now reading my first John Connolly book, after hearing many good reviews. So far it's very good.