Tuesday, January 19, 2016

4casting

I was asked this many times today: “How much snow we gettin’?”

I checked four different weather forecasting services. The only thing they can agree on is that they can’t agree.

When Norma was doing TV weather I learned it’s difficult to accurately predict the weather more than a day in the future. Too many things can change. So why do we have Five Day, Seven Day and Ten Day forecasts?

Because you demand them. You insist on knowing the unknowable. That’s why forecasters have to engage in a process that we in broadcasting call Making Shit Up.

Fortunately, I do have some insight. Here it is:

It’s going to snow A LOT.

Or it isn’t.

Either way, you can’t do jack about it. So relax.

Maybe it will be a pleasant, though cool, weekend. Or it will be, as you suspect, THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT!! In that case, I recommend thermal underwear and hot cocoa. Oh, and about thirty loaves of bread from the store.

No comments: