Friday, January 08, 2016

Deadneck Dreaming


A couple of days ago I posted about a buddy of mine who is stationed in Afghanistan. He called me to say, among other things, that he’d just enjoyed my story “Deadnecks”.

A little background: “Deadnecks” concerns a small Kentucky town exposed to a zombie outbreak. Once the town's good ol’ boys are converted to the dead side, the retain their original personalities. So they drink beer and watch NASCAR, as well as eating brains. The story was horror with a big dose of humor.

The story was first published in Dark Discoveries magazine. In 2007, I wrote a sequel to the original “Deadnecks” and both stories were published in Deadneck Hootenanny, a chapbook by Novello Publishers. In 2010, there was a third story, “Deadneck Woman”, in the Novello anthology Dark Jesters.   

Since then I’ve contemplated writing a Deadnecks novel, incorporating the three stories. I think it would be a hoot to write, but until I can carve out more writing time, the redneck zombies will be pouring back PBR on the back burner.

I just found Deadneck Hootenanny listed on Amazon for $36.00. I would like to have another copy, but not at that price.

By the way, both stories from DH are in my collection Looking at the World with Broken Glass in My Eye.  You can still get a copy here.

No comments: