Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Deadnecks in the 'Stan



So, we have a friend who is stationed in the Middle East. He can’t really talk about what he does, but he checks in frequently to let us know he’s safe. Before Christmas we sent him a package with snacks and books and graphic novels. One of the books was, at his request, a copy of my collection Looking at the World with Broken Glass in My Eye.

He called this morning while I was on the air. During our conversation, he mentioned how much he enjoyed “Deadnecks”, the first story in my collection. I was unexpectedly struck by how moving it was to hear that. I never imagined my little redneck zombie story would be entertaining service members half a world away.

That was a cool moment that will stay with me all day.


(By the way, the book is out of print but you can still get a copy here.)

No comments: