Thursday, December 14, 2006

Correcting the Mistakes

As I sit here pretending I'm not coming down with a nasty virus, I see that the good folks at Regret the Error have posted their annual summation of the best media corrections of 2006. But it was while surfing their archives that I discovered their correction of the year for 2005:

Our choice this year is a correction that combines many elements that are indicative of the correction format: it is very short, the error is very bad and also very funny, and the correction is entirely inadequate. Ladies and Gentleman, the Correction of the Year for 2005, as published in the Denver Daily News on July 27:

The Denver Daily News would like to offer a sincere apology for a typo in Wednesday's Town Talk regarding New Jersey's proposal to ban smoking in automobiles. It was not the author's intention to call New Jersey 'Jew Jersey.'


This makes some of my on-air gaffes look downright reasonable, and that puts a smile on my face.

No comments: