Friday, January 13, 2006

Shall We Catch Up?

My apologies for a light blogging week. I didn’t mean to alarm anyone (hi, Angie!).

I’m still smarting over the Bengal’s loss to the Steelers Sunday.

But apparently I should get over it, because it was fixed. Just a couple of hours ago a woman told me all NFL games are fixed. She knows this because her gambling-addicted ex-boyfriend told her.

Well, that settles it then.

***

We’ve got a new Pod of Horror Going live on Monday. I’ll post a link to it then. One of the features will be an interview with Danny Trejo, an actor whose name you probably don’t recognize, but whose face you will. He’s been in a zillion movies and TV shows, including Desperate Housewives a couple of months ago. Take a look:

***

Did anyone else see Lost on Wednesday?

The scene with Mr. Eko facing down the black smoke monster has to qualify as the biggest WTF? moment of the 2005-2006 TV season.

***

I have no free time, yet I’m planning on checking out the new season of 24, starting Sunday.

Last year I jumped off the 24 train pretty early in the season. In fact, the exact moment was when Jack had to delay the terrorist at the gas station for a few minutes so Chloe could redeploy the satellites or some such thing. When faced with that decision, I think we all know what we’d do: slit the guy’s tire. Not Jack . He had to put on a ski mask, grab a gun, hold everyone in the gas station hostage and cause a stand off with the police.This was such an obvious placeholder for the producers and writers.

“Holy shit, we’re out of ideas.”

“Why don’t we just put Jack in that gas station for a couple of episodes until we can
come up with something?"

This morning on the radio show my wife said, “You read comic books every week. You’re a horror and science fiction nut. For God’s sake, you write fiction about redneck zombies and intelligent electric chairs. And you couldn’t suspend your disbelief over a gas station holdup?"

Nope.

But the reviews and previews for the new season of 24 have me intrigued. Plus, Kim is back, and I can’t wait to see what convoluted plot mechanism they devise to fit her into the story.

I still think a Kim spin-off could be huge. Just put her in shorts and a tight t-shirt and have bad guys chase her through the woods. The show could be shot entirely in slow motion and it would have to be called Run, Kim, Run.


***

I’ve resumed posting classic comic book covers over at The Museum of Arts and Comics, a forum I co-moderate with the fine artist Russ Dickerson. You can check it out here.

***

I’m still working on the novel, too. It’s called The Firecracker Man. The first half of it was written a couple of years ago and I’ve been combing through it to reacquaint myself with the story and the characters.

I had forgotten about one scene that was inspired by an incident from my childhood. Remind me to tell you about the time around age 11 when I was a professional private detective, at least for one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.