Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Pulp Renaissance Continues


I picked this up at the comics shop this week after a few months of eager anticipation.

Congrats to Anthony Tollin and crew for a fine product at an affordable price. Two Shadow novels a month? That boggles my mind.

As excited I am about the Doc Savage reprints, that's a series I've read. Aside from the Shadow paperbacks, I only own a couple of the original pulps, so most of the Shadow stories will be new to me. And Tollin has started out with a great combination. "Crime, Insured" is one of Gibson's best, with a criminal mastermind offering insurance to crooks to protect them against The Shadow, while "The Golden Vulture" is a legendary novel, in that it was Lester Dent's audition for Street & Smith which led to his Doc Savage gig.

With this new series of reprints, the Wild Cat Books stuff, and reprints from Adventure House, Girasol and Wildside, we are living in the second Golden Age of pulp fiction.

No comments: