Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving

I started to put up a jokey post ( cuz that's who I am, it's what I do) but it didn't seem right. I'm a sap about the holidays and I especially love today (okay, I hated Thanksgiving for a few years, right after we were married and had to go four places each year. It was like that episode of The Andy Griffith Show where he ends up with three dinner invitations in one night and spaghetti is served at each one. You try to look excited about your fourth plate of sweet potatoes. That's why we started having dinner here, and despite a couple of attempts to scuttle that, we're on our 14th or 15th, I think).

So I'll spend today with the people who matter most to me. I'll try not to eat too much. I'll watch football, make fart jokes with my brother and try to be thankful for all that I have.

Then later tonight, when everyone has gone and the mess has been cleaned up and Norma is asleep and the cats are wandering the house, sniffing the spots where the guests sat, I 'll heat up a plate of leftovers.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

1 comment:

Mark Justice said...

Thanks, Mel. You, too.