Monday, November 28, 2005

More From Me


That's the lovely cover to Horror Fiction Review #11, which came in the mail today. It's a cool 'zine that -- as the name implies -- reviews a ton of books and magazines. This issue includes a superb interview with talented writer James Newman.

It also has my story "Life's Work", the first piece of fiction HFR has ever published.

Editor Nick Cato knows how to please on a budget. HFR is only two bucks! You can order it here and here.

***



I've always had a love/hate relationship with westerns. When I was a child we watched a lot of them, even when something cool like, say, Flipper, was on another channel. I had my fill and promised myself when I was in my prime reject-everything-your-parents-like stage that I would never watch another cowboy show. Now, as I age gracefully (cough, cough) I do enjoy the occasional western ( and I'm a big fan of HBO's Deadwood, surely as accurate a portrayal of the old west as any John Wayne film. Heh). In fact, I'm in a bit of a western phase right now. So I got a little excited when I learned The Lone Ranger is coming back to comics.

Dynamite Entertainment is bringing back the masked rider of the plains in a new series, as well as reprints. Get all the details here.

When I was a kid, The Lone Ranger was waning in popularity, but the classic TV show was still on, there were tons of comics and merchandise, and a local radio station was airing the radio show (mostly episodes from the late 40s). This sparked my lifelong love of old time radio and led to a good sized collection of shows. Thank God for the mp3 format or I'd be living in a house full of cassettes.

I still have a few of the comics from Dell and Gold Key. The best recent incarnation of the hero was a mini-series put out in the 90s by the short-loved comics division of Topps. It was written by novelist Joe R. Lansdale and drawn by Timothy Truman.


If you ever find it at a comics shop, snap it up. It's well worth your time.

No comments: