Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Bloating


I’ve had it.

I’m drawing a line. This far. No farther.

And I know you feel the same way.

I will no longer read them.

You know what I’m talking about.

200 page horror novels that have been padded to 400 pages.

Where did we go wrong? How did we make publishers think we would only read swollen books?

Do we really need another horror novel with a 2000 word description of someone eating breakfast?

And this is not directed at everyone. There are many great writers who produce lengthy page-turners full of everything we love in a novel. But the market is being flooded with shit, just like back in the 80s. Only now, someone has decided it has to be lo-o-o-ong shit.

In many of these obese paper weights you can see the kernel of a great book. A great 220 page book.

Hey, you can still get 200 page westerns, mysteries and romances. Why not horror?

Please join me in my quest. Ban the Bloated Book.

Maybe we can get a telethon.

Please help before I throw another snoozer of a novel at the wall and accidentally hit a cat.

No comments: