Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hot For Teacher

I hope you enjoy the short-short in the post below. I had no market for it and it was just sitting on my hard drive, so here it is for you. I’d love some feedback.

***

I’m not really sure what is going on with this phenomenon of female teachers having sex with underage male students. It seems to have exploded during the past few years. I don’t understand the mental mis-wiring that makes children sexy to some adults, and I realize that this is not a new occurrence. When I was in high school one of the really cute teachers had a thing for some of the athletes. The word was she offered to tutor them at her house when her husband was out of town. The tutoring usually ended up with this teacher , uh, cleaning the student’s easer, if ya know what I’m sayin’. It seemed everybody knew about it, but nobody complained. Especially the athletes.

However, had it been a male teacher with, say, a cheerleader, it would have been a different story.

With the current spate of molestations, the teacher usually goes to jail. But in the Debra Lafave case the charges were dismissed. She won’t be going to the pokey for allowing a 14-year-old boy to poke her.

We can only draw one conclusion from this legal decision.

If you’re really hot, you ain’t going to prison. Here, take a look at Ms. Lafave. I’ll wait.


Do you think that if the teacher had been a chubby guy or a butch chick, the charges would have been dropped?

Me neither.

Lafave blames her actions on her bipolar disorder, the new coverall excuse for bad behavior. Perhaps she really is ill and needs treatment. I have no idea. I just know that she wasn’t able to use that defense at her trial, because there was no trial.

Don’t get me wrong. If I was a high school boy and this woman propositioned me I would have immediately passed out due to the blood rushing from my brain. I wouldn’t have been able to work any problems at the board for four years.

That doesn’t change the fact that another teacher – an less attractive one or one equipped with a penis – would be in jail now.

Enjoy your freedom, Ms. Lafave, along with your TV appearances and your inevitable and profitable book deal.

You’ve just won the lucrative Double Standard Lottery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hot For Teacher, indeed. I can hear David Lee Roth shouting out, "I brought my PENCIL!" as I type this.

SCORE!

Anonymous said...

I think that to say she got off because she was pretty, which is what everyone is saying, is an oversimplification and inaccurate. The prosecutor dismissed the state's charges because the judge rejected a plea deal in which the prime witness (the victim) wouldn't have had to testify. Since the judge rejected the plea, the prosecutor dropped the charges rather than subject the victim to the trauma of giving testimony. If there's any double standard here, then it would have to be found in the gender of the victim and not the accused--for instance, if accused molestors in that state can still be convicted in the absence of testimony from female victims--but I have no idea if that has happened.

--Matthew Warner

Mark Justice said...

Hi, Matt.

Well, I like to oversimplify my inaccuracies. :^)

While I'm sure you're right, it still smells like a double standard.

I wonder how many molestation cases are dropped -- setting admitted molesters free (and according to the news stories *and* her own press conference, she admitted it) -- because prosecutors didn't want to force the kid to testify.

Maybe I'm cynical or maybe it's seeing something similar happen here, but I harbor serious doubts things would be tied up so nicely had the accused been a man. No way to know, of course (unless we had access to parallel dimensions). Guess I'd make a crappy lawyer.

For some reason, probably having to do with manliness, male rites of passage and the perceived “purity” of girls, an adult man who prey on underage girls seems to be considered worse than an adult female. When the accused is a guy, we “tsk tsk” and shake our heads at how sick some members of society are. When it’s a female – and an attractive one – we guys snicker and wink and nod knowingly.

Double standard.

Anonymous said...

Oh well--touche--I just thought I'd point a couple things out. I'd still be reluctant to make those kinds of generalizations without sourcing them.

Thanks for the link on your blog, btw! :)

Matt