Sunday, March 26, 2006

Shtuff

Looking over this blog the other day, it struck me how all-over-the-map it is.

Kinda like the inside of my head.

Writing, podcasting, politics, movies, comics, TV, books, home life and lots of pulps. It’s all here, and more. I think I have a touch of ADD.

I’ve always envied those people who have only one hobby or interest. They devote their lives to woodcarving or crocheting or muscle cars or model trains. They come home, have dinner with the family, open their stamp book or their coin collection and get lost in their hobby until bedtime. Rinse and Repeat.

I spend more time deciding what to read – Comics? Horror? Something I have to review? – than I do actually reading. I’m so far behind on everything I want to read I don’t think I’ll ever be able to keep up.

But I still buy books.

It’s like a crack addiction, one I know I’ll never be able to shake.

***

Over at Shocklines, Wm. Ollie mentions, after listening to the podcast of my story “Father’s Day”, that when those who read stories attempt to give different voices to characters, it distracts him.

One of the very best at doing this is Tom Monteleone. His recording of “Horn of Plenty” is a stone cold masterpiece, the benchmark for all other authors reading their own work. If I could do it a tenth as well as Monteleone, I’d be a happy guy. Meanwhile, I’ll keep trying.

By the way, I’m referring only to his acting skills. If I could write a hundredth as well as Monteleone...

Well, you know.

***

There’ll be a new Pod of Horror tomorrow. Cool prizes, too, DVD fans.

No comments: