Thursday, February 08, 2007

Novel Update

I ran into my first roadblock this week (well, second; but my limited writing time was always a given --two days writing out of the last four) when I labored over a scene for a couple of days only to realize this morning that the problem was it didn't belong in the novel. Not yet, anyway. It assumes the reader knows the main character much better than is possible and it reveals too much too soon. So it's gone, hopefully to return about 30,000 words from now.

Now the bad news: I have to put the novel on hold for a bit. As I mentioned when I started this book, I have a couple of other February commitments, including a novelette and a short story. Also, I need to finish a comic book script. I hope to get a series proposal out in the next couple of months and I have an artist standing by.

I'll plug away at the novel in spare moments. I have high hopes for this one.

***

I just finished High Profile, the new Jesse Stone novel from Robert B. Parker. It was a good mystery, with all the usual Parker hallmarks: short chapters, crackling dialogue and a lot of emotional wrangling over relationships. This one moves along the romance between Stone and Parker's female detective Sunny Randall. In fact, this is almost as much a Randall novel as it is Stone's. I enjoy Parker's crossovers. I've been a nut for heroes teaming up since my first comic book, in which Daredevil saved the Fantastic Four from Doctor Doom. This is Parker's strongest book in a few years.

On the other hand, if you don't like it, wait a few months. Parker has at least two more books coming out this year.

***
It was a great episode of Lost last night. Elizabeth Mitchell's Juliet is turning out to be a fascinating character. I hope she survives -- unlike most of the new characters added last season.

I predict ABC learns from Fox's success with 24. Forget these split seasons. Start the show in January and run all the episodes without a break or repeat. It seems to be the best way to deliver a serialized show and keep the buzz going.

***
Over the next few days, I'll be serializing a novelette called "The Sun God Comes Home", a superhero story I published a few years ago at the now-defunct Adventure Fiction Online. I think it's a fun blending of action and horror, and I hope you dig it. It will be slightly revised from it's original appearance, for the one person out there who may have read it.

5 comments:

Ron Fortier said...

Mark, couldn't agree more about seeing LOST run consecutively without any breaks. Problem is they simply can't produce them fast enough to make their Sept. dates. Obviously they should hold off a season start until they are ready. We fans would certainly not worry if we could see the entire season as a whole. And me, I don't trust Juliette as far as I could throw her. She's a woman who looks out for #1.

Mark Justice said...

Ron, she may not be trustworthy, but I like the character -- and she's easy on the eyes!

Ron Fortier said...

Oh, that she is. Did you see the great little crime thriller movie
last year, RUNNING SCARED? She
has a bit part in it where she plays
a truly twisted, yuppie child molester. When she popped up on
LOST, that powerful last role sort of stayed in my mind. She certainly has the acting chops and there is rumors that she and Jack will bond. Hmmm.

Mark Justice said...

My wife liked her in those Tim Allen THE SANTA CLAUSE movies.

Mark Justice said...

Speaking of wives, Ron, I hope you enjoy your homecoming!