Thursday, February 22, 2007

'Sup?


Been a while. I finished a longish (15k) story for a pulp anthology the other day, which got my pulpy juices flowing. Pulp stories are my crack, as I may have mentioned before. Over the past two weeks I've read a bunch of pulp novels, including two Doc Savages, a Spider, a Jim Anthony, an Avenger and a Phantom Detective.



The Avenger was the first of that series that I've read in several years. I had forgotten what a good writer Paul Ernst was. The word is he hated the Avenger yarns because he had aspirations of writing for the slick magazines. If it's true, his feeling don't show. The Avenger books are tight, fast paced, with a good amount of characterization for the pulps. The action is non-stop and the stories are logical. I've dug out several more and I plan to get to 'em ASAP.

***

I'm working on a short story for an anthology. It looks like that will carry me through the weekend. Then it's back to the novel and to Mad Reign of the Plague Master. That book has been back-burnered too long.

***

I saw Ghost Rider the other day. The bad reviews didn't matter. It was a movie based on a favorite childhood comic book, so I had to see it. And you know what? It didn't totally suck, which is more than I expected. I'd give it a C. Maybe a C plus. There are a few plot holes, and Nicholas Cage lapses into Elvis a couple of times, but it was okay.

The real fun for me is surfing the message boards and reading the verbal tantrums some self-appointed critics are unleashing against this movie. They seem so offended you'd think they expected this to be an Oscar-worthy flick, or that the filmmakers sat down and said, "How can we make a film that will completely piss off Joe Message Board Poster so much that he strokes out while typing his juvenile too-cool-for-the room review?"

Very amusing.

1 comment:

Ron Fortier said...

Got to love it, Mark. Wife and I saw GHOST RIDER Friday afternoon and both of us had a good time with it. As its a comic book, matinee style property,
we thought it delivered what it promised and I really had a ball with old flaming skull head. Brought back a lot of fond memories of my Marvel days as a reckless youth. Ha. And you just can't go wrong when Sam Elliot's playing the original rider.
That was just too sweet.